Monday 3 October 2011

La vie en Provence!

Regardless of the fact that I've been in Aix-en-Provence for over a month now, I have only just started to feel like I actually live here.
Everyone knows that life in France, particularly in the south, is a lot more relaxed than in England but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about life here in Aix-en-Provence.
Maybe it's the glorious sunshine which greets you each and every morning, the aroma of fresh croissants and baguettes from the numerous boulangeries or the characteristic Provençal architecture of the town centre.
I can't really put my finger on it, but there's something special about Aix-en-Provence.

To cut a long story short, the last few weeks have been a total whirlwind. 
I've had many challenges to overcome ranging from opening a French bank account - an absolute nightmare and more paperwork than needed, to trying to finalise my modules and my timetable at l'Université de Provence Aix-Marseille I.
Let alone getting used to my new home, the town and speaking French 24/7. Culture shock happens guys!
Also, for those of you who are Erasmus students, take note: DO NOT expect much help from University staff in France.
The system here is very different to England, and they couldn't care less you don't know what you're doing.

However, it has not been all doom and gloom!
I have taken the opportunity to visit some amazing places already since I've been in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur. Here's a few photos of where I've been so far:


Aix-en-Provence




Nice




Cassis


Marseille



Saint-Raphaël



Finally everything has settled down and I'm looking forward to my time here, I think I'm going to enjoy la vie en provence...

No comments:

Post a Comment