Thursday 6 October 2011

The Italian Job



For many years now, Vespa scooters have been an iconic symbol of fast moving trends and fashion.
Initially created in 1943 by Erico Piaggio to provide low cost transport to the Italian public, the Vespa scooter rocketed in popularity and universally became très à la mode.

I've never hidden the fact that I've always had a bit of an obsession with Vespa scooters.
I've always longed to have my own, but in all honesty, Newcastle-upon-Tyne isn't exactly the ideal place to have, or be seen with one.

However, since moving to south of France, my desire to have my own has increased dramatically.
Everywhere I look in Aix-en-Provence there are Vespa's of all colours and models whizzing passed me left, right and centre... we all know how crazy the French are on the roads, and I can assure you that they drive no differently whether it be in a Renault 4, or on a Vespa scooter.

What I like about the Vespa is that it is suitable for everyone.
I regularly see people of all ages and sexes driving them, ranging from young, sharp suited business men who seem to be rather late for a very important rendez-vous, to an old man leaving his local boulangerie, baguette in hand and not a care in the world.





If I could have things my way, I'd have a jet black LX 125 ie Vespa, wear a smart suit, as well as my Ray Ban "Clubmaster" sunglasses and simply cruise down the Côte d'Azur coastline in the glorious southern French sun.
Malheureusement, the €2.900 price tag of my ideal Vespa is proving to be a bit of a set back on this one.
Any chance of my Eramus grant soon please? Thought not.


I guess for the moment I'll have to keep dreaming, but as the Italians say; "Campa cavallo!" ...


www.vespa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment