Tuesday 25 October 2011

Avignon

This weekend I decided to get out of town and visit my friend Georgina from Newcastle-Upon-Tyne who is also on her year abroad, teaching in the town of Avignon.
Only 20 minutes away from Aix-en-Provence by the TGV (Train à Grande Vitesse), I headed off after my last university lecture of the week.

I've never been on the TGV before, but it's always been something I've wanted to do.
Arriving at the train station with plenty of time to spare, I validated my ticket before grabbing a café noir and enjoying one of my favourite past times; people watching.

I never expected the train station to be so busy, as it's 18km from the centre of Aix-en-Provence. But how wrong I was.
There were so many people there, of all ages rushing back and forth in a mad frenzy. I must admit, it was the hustle and bustle I had missed since arriving in France.



The train arrived, and departed right on time which was a pleasant change compared to public transport back in England.
I bought 2nd class tickets, which were more than comfortable for my 
derrière, and for my pocket. (I am a student after all).
If you haven't done so already, then it's worth investing in an SNCF carte 12-25 while you're in France as you can get up to 60% off your rail travel if you book in advance with it !


www.12-25-sncf.com




Avignon is a city in the south eastern region of France know as the Vaucluse.
The city is most famous for being the medieval town where many Popes resided before moving to the Vatican, in Rome.
Situated on the left bank of the river 
Rhône, the city occupies an oval shape area which is covered largely in parks and gardens, but also has many shops, bars and restaurants in the centre.

Once I'd dropped off my bag at the apartment, we headed straight back out so Georgina could give me a personal guided tour around town.
Walking through the old narrow side streets, passed numerous
boulangeries and pâtisseries, and seeing a fountain every now and then, I began to notice that Avignon just felt like a larger version of Aix-en-Provence.

Our first stop was the incredible Palais des papes which was built in 1309.
 We didn't venture inside, I was happy enough to stand outside and appreciate the detail and scale of it.
Just next to the palace is the cathédrale Notre Dame des Doms. We did go in for a look, and I'm so glad we did because the frescos at the dome of the cathedral were amazing.





Afterwards we walked up to les Jardins d'Eole where the statues, fountains and pond were like a secret garden you could escape to and let the world pass you by.
It was also an excellent view point of the famous Pont d'Avignon, a bridge which was constructed but never actually finished.








We also took some time to do a bit of shopping, and visited the main high street in Avignon; Rue de la République.
However, the only things we bought were a couple of brioches 
to snack on as we walked around town.



Later in the evening, we decided to go out for a few drinks with some of the teachers that Georgina works with.
We ended up at an English themed pub called "Red Sky". Home sweet home.
The French was flowing, as were the bières and it seemed we were in for a good night.
Ready to move to the next place, it was decided food was on the agenda, but as we'd eaten before we came out, we decided to go to somewhere else for a drink.

Walking through the town we stumbled across a place called L'Offset café, it didn't appeal to the others but we decided to go in (mainly because by that point it was very, very cold).
Once inside, we realised we'd discovered a gem.
A bar come restaurant, with a quirky and modern feel...this place had everything.
With an area near the entrance if you just wanted a few casual drinks, or tables at the back if you wanted to eat. Most importantly, it had an atmosphere to match both.

Sitting at the bar, the biggest surprise of the night was the band that were playing.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get their name, but they were very good.
Not keeping to a certain style of music they played songs by The Beatles to The Rolling Stones to Maroon 5, which everyone seemed to love and set the scene for the night.

If you ever go to Avignon then it's a must to have at least one quick drink here.






L'Offset Café
16, Bis rue des Teinturiers
84000
Avignon
France

Tél. : +33 (0)4.90.85.28.44.


Whether it's the historical ruins or the night life which draws you here, Avignon is most definitely worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment