Wednesday 9 May 2012

Tarragona d'tapes

As I am an English university student, I'm no stranger to the concept of a bar crawl. However, for over the last two weeks here in Tarragona there has been a bar crawl with a different main focus... tapas.


Tarragona d'tapes is a culinary event in it's fourth year, which was held from 19th April until 6th May 2012. 
In total over 42 bars and restaurants in the city served a unique tapas y copa (tapas and either a beer or a wine) for €2,50.
¡ Muy bien !
The idea was that you go from bar to bar (or restaurant), and sample each tapas that they had to offer along with a drink.


You were given a small booklet which had a list of all the participating bars and restaurants, as well as a map (with the three specific areas) to show you where everything was:


1. Tarragona Serrallo
2. Tarragona Centre
3. Tarragona Part Alta


Once you knew what, and where places were, it was up to you which ones to visit. A nice little touch I liked was when you had been to a venue, you got a stamp to confirm your visit.



On your marks, get set, go...


No. 38 : El Candil

 El Candil was the first bar on my crawl situated on the Plaça de la FontIt was a bar I'd passed many times, but I'd never been in for a drink, or for food. 
It's a small bar which was crammed with people, yet it still had a cosy feel and the staff were friendly. 
The tapas was El salmó dels tàrtars : Llesqueta de tàrtar de salmó amb pebre i sal Maldon (a salmon tartare with pepper and salt on a biscuit base). It was nicely presented, but as I'm not a great lover of salmon it left a lot to be desired.
I wasn't off to a good start...

3/10






No. 36 : Kay

The next stop was at Kay, further along on the Plaça de la Font.
I'd never even seen this bar before, which I found hard to believe!
It's a modern bar with a quirky feel, and seemed to be very popular with the locals.
The tapas was Cruixent de Kay Cruixent de porro i bacon, (a bacon and leek on pastry with melted goats cheese and a lime balsamic dressing).
It was well presented, and tasted good.

6/10






No. 40 : Quattropies

The following bar was Quattropies, on the opposite side of the Plaça de la Font.
I had been here before for a few drinks and to watch the famous El Clásico football game between Real Madrid and Barcelona.
It's a pleasant bar, with a good range of tapas on a daily basis.
The tapas was Quattropies Peus de porc farcits amb bolets i foie, (pig trotter filled with mushrooms and foie gras).
The presentation was decent, but it was very chewy and quite hard to eat.

4/10






No. 19 : Xamfrà del Fòrum (XDF)

Another night I went to Xamfrà del Fòrum (XDF) in the central area of Tarragona.
I had walked past here the other week and wanted to go ever since, so I thought this event was the perfect opportunity to check it out.
It's a very modern looking and feeling restaurant with friendly staff, and as it turned out, great food too.
The tapas was Dim Sum XDF“Dim sum” de matacía y queso de cabra, crema de calçot, manzana, tomate, mango y cebolla crujiente, (black pudding "Dim sum" with goats cheese, spring onion, apple, tomato, mango and crunchy onion).
The presentation was incredible, as was the taste!

9/10






No. 29 : El Llagut Taverna Marinera

The first place on my final night was El Llagut Taverna Marinera on the Plaça de ReiI'd never heard of this place before, but Ana who I teach with said she'd been for the tapas here and it was worth going for.
It's a quaint and welcoming restaurant, which seemed again to be popular with locals (five minutes after we arrived, there was about twenty people queueing - talk about good timing!).
The tapas was Visca la terra! Coca de recapte amb popets estofats al vi ranci, llonganissa i herbetes, (Catalan-style pizza with stewed baby octopus in wine, spicy sausage and herbs).
The presentation with the use of the black slate was a nice surprise (I think it always makes food look so much better), and it tasted great.

9/10






No. 17 : Mos


Immediately after we headed toward Mos back in the central area of TarragonaIt was again another place I'd never seen before, but as we had to queue for about ten minutes before we got a table, it was surely a good sign?
The tapas was XipiraboChipirón relleno de rabo de toro, puré de patata con tinta de calamar y palomitas de arroz, (Oxtail in cuttle fish with squid ink mashed potato and popcorn rice).
I was very disappointed with the presentation of this tapas, as it looked nothing like the photo in the booklet. Yes, I know it looks awful!
However, don't let this put you off, as it tasted amazing.

8/10 






No. 14 : Deu Més U (Cafeteria ONCE)

I made my way back up toward Plaça de la Font and Deu Més U.
It wasn't the nicest looking bar, but the picture of the food looked good (I was wary because of the Mos episode now).
However, the staff were friendly and originally spoke to me in English, I don't look like a typical Brit abroad do I?
The tapas was Pascuelet Llom farcit d’ibèrics a l’allioli, (Iberian pork loin stuffed with garlic mayonnaise).
The presentation wasn't fantastic, and I don't think the photo does it any justice either, but it tasted very good.


8/10





No. 35 : Piscolabis

The final bar on the crawl was Piscobalis, back where I started on the Plaça de la Font.
I had passed this place a few times before, but I'd never had a drink here.
The staff were very friendly, in particular one waitress who kept serving and talking all night. (The thing is when I've had a bit to drink I can talk for England... even in Spanish).
The tapas was Bacallà al Miró Bacallà al forn a l’aroma d’allioli amb culís de romesco al vermut, (Cod baked in garlic sauce with a vermouth coulis romesco sauce).
The presentation was simple but effective, and it was eatable.

6/10






I really liked the whole point behind this event, which at the end of the day was to get people to visit new bars and restaurants within Tarragona, and in my opinion it has definitely worked!
I went on three separate nights to just a handful of bars and restaurants, but if I was able to have gone to every single one, then I would have done.

I now know about bars and restaurants which I previously never knew existed, but will certainly visit before I leave next month.

¡ Salud !

No comments:

Post a Comment